Meet Your Physician
Robert Gaertner, MD
Dr. Gaertner, a native of the Twin Cities, has a primary focus on urologic oncology. Prostate cancer, the most prevalent urologic cancer, is his area of expertise.
Robotic surgery, a minimally invasive approach, has quickly become the most innovative treatment of prostate cancer. As a pioneer of robotic surgery in Minnesota, Dr. Gaertner along with his partner Dr. Christopher Knoedler, have performed over 4,000 robotic prostatectomies (da Vinci) making them one of the top ten leading robotic surgery teams in the country. Compared to traditional surgery, results of robotic surgery for patients have been exciting. Hospital stays of 24 hours, minimal discomfort, less blood loss, minimal scarring and back to normal activities in 2-3 weeks.
Dr. Gaertner’s robotic practice is not limited to prostetectomies. He has performed nephrectomies, partial nephrectomies, lymph node dissections, repair of uretero-pelvic junction obstruction, ureterolysis, bladder repair, and cyst decortications.
Dr. Gaertner continues to help train urologists in the use of the da Vinci robotic system.
- General Urology
- Urologic Oncology
- Stone Disease
- Investigational Drug and Device Research
- Robotic Surgery
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Harvard University); Boston, MA
- Lahey Clinic Medical Center; Burlington, MA; General Surgery, Urology
Georgetown University; Washington, D.C.
University of St. Thomas; St. Paul, MN
- Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Urology
- Holmium YAG Laser
- Ultrasonically Guided I125/Pd103/Ir192 Implantation for the Treatment of Prostate Cancer