Rezūm for Enlarged Prostate: What You Should Know
Minnesota Urology is committed to providing a full range of treatment options for BPH. That includes offering the latest advances in minimally invasive therapies like Rezūm.
Benign prostatic hypertrophy, or enlarged prostate, is common among men over age 50. The enlargement of the prostate gland presses on the urethra. This can cause noticeable symptoms. Men may frequently need to urinate, have a weak urine stream, or feel their bladder isn’t fully empty. These symptoms can significantly impact daily life and overall well-being.
Rezūm For Enlarged Prostate
Rezūm is a minimally invasive, non-surgical procedure. It provides long-lasting relief from BPH symptoms with minimal risk of complications.
How Rezūm Works
Rezūm is performed without the need for general anesthesia or sedation. A local anesthetic may be given to numb the area of the prostate. During the treatment, a specialized device is used to direct a stream of water vapor (steam) to the affected area. The steam heats the excess prostate tissue, destroying it. The body absorbs the tissue through natural processes.
Advantages of Rezūm Therapy
Rezūm offers several advantages over traditional surgical treatments for BPH. These include:
- Minimally Invasive: Rezūm is minimally invasive, so there is less tissue damage and minimal risk of complications.
- Precision: The targeted delivery of water vapor allows for precise tissue removal, minimizing damage to the surrounding healthy structures.
- Reduced Risk: It minimizes the risk of bleeding, infection, and other complications commonly associated with more invasive procedures.
- Preservation of Function: Rezūm is less likely to cause damage to nerves and structures needed for proper urinary and sexual function.
- Quick Recovery: Men treated with this procedure typically experience a quicker recovery, allowing them to return to normal activities with minimal downtime.
Locations and Physicians Currently Providing Rezūm Therapy
Plymouth and Edina: Dr. J. Karl Kemberling, Dr. Mark Fallen, Dr. Matthew Braasch, Dr. Joseph Mahon, and Dr. Stephen Overholser. For more information or to schedule a procedure at this location, please call 952-927-6501.